Wednesday, July 21, 2010

On Your Mark, Get Set, DIY

I did it. I knew it would start early. I went to the Pacific Fabrics in Northgate and stocked up on lovely creamy, ivory, champagney fabrics in an array of textures: muslin, cotton, polyester silk, dupioni silk. (Thank goodness for friends that will compare fabrics for 3 hours.) I can't wait to start making silk flowers, muslin "yo-yos" and cotton poms. We don't have a date or a venue, but it's never too early to begin crafting. (If I were Chris, I'd write: "that's what I always say" - man, I can't get that guy out of my head. Good thing I'm marrying him.) And, yes, I've decided on a simple, monochromatic color scheme of off-whites, ivory, cream and champagne colors. This is sure to disappoint some folks, but I'm in love with the colors and that's all that matters right?

I guess I wish that were the case, but despite not having discussed a budget or picked a date, the wedding politics have already started. I've been involved in enough weddings to know that it really is a lot about friends and family, rather than just about the bride and groom, but the selfish bridezilla buried deep inside me (who I will punch in the face if she comes out) sometimes wishes it were just about us.

Also, while I'm so excited to start planning for my wedding (this may be the job I was born to do), I wish I could also say that I was working on my relationship and preparing it for the joys and the hardships involved in a marriage. I can't say that I'm doing that just yet, but it's at the top of the "to-do" list (and there it shall stay).

No comments:

Post a Comment