Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cake Wreck

Have you ever had one of those days where *nothing* goes as planned? No? Really? I don't believe you.

I managed to make a cake last week that I'm afraid I might see on Cake Wrecks. While that website sometimes makes me laugh so hard it brings me to tears, it won't be as funny when one of *my* cakes ends up on there. And this cake already brought me to tears.

I should've known. A red guitar is clearly outside of my ability levels on the decorating front. I knew that going in, but the family who enjoyed the rainbow cake was so excited about their guitar cake that I think I became delusional about my abilities.

Luckily, they are super nice people and didn't gasp when opening the cake box to find this.


I tried. Hard. I even tried not to cry *in* the cake. I was successful, but the cat didn't appreciate it when I used her to wipe my tears.



And, yes, I'm aware that the neck of the guitar is waaay too short. However, if someone pays for a cake, I don't imagine they want four inches of cake and 10 inches of neck, so, I modified the thing a bit. Into a violin. Ok, even violins have longer necks than this. Sigh.

I guess it looks so-so-ok. Hopefully it won't really end up on Cake Wrecks. Because then I would cry. Again. And it would remind me of the series of disasters that this cake brought. (1) Overbaked chocolate cake! Nooooo! (That's what happens when your oven is at least 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to be. Although I'm used to that, so what's my excuse!?) (2) The frosting wasn't thick enough to give me a nice edge. It was too schloopy. (3) The butter in the red frosting had a funny taste to it. Yuck. (4) I ran out of powdered sugar before making the white icing, so I had to use regular sugar because it was LATE and I just had to be DONE, so it was all grainy and gross. I'm not sure I've ever had such a hard time with cake before.

No comments:

Post a Comment